Attorney Robert L. Mues posted a great blog this morning about the economic stimulus check and child support arrearage. The IRS is treating the stimulus check like a tax refund. If you owe child support, the IRS is seizing or reducing the funds to apply to your arrearage.

Attorney Mues writes:

So what do you do if you and your spouse have filed a joint return and your spouse owes back child support if you want to avoid having the IRS seize your share? Well, you may fall in the category of what the IRS calls an “injured spouse”. To get your share of the stimulus payment, you can file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation. You will then get your share of these payments, and your spouse’s share will be applied to his or her past-due federal or state income taxes or non-tax federal debt such as student loans and child support.