I recently did a google search to see what came up for answers for "child support and college in New Hampshire." I came across a yahoo answers page in which somebody asked "do I have to pay child support when my child goes to college if I live in New Hampshire." It is a question that comes up often in family law, and a good question to ask.

However, answers at yahoo is not the place to get legal advice. There were a wide variety of "answers," many of which were completely wrong. One responder said "yeah you do because my sisters dad is going to have to pay for college when she goes" while another stated "you have to pay child support until they are done college. This uasually [sic] is standard. I am pretty sure that you only have to pay for only 4 years of college or university."

Generally, the law in New Hampshire is that child support ends when the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later.  Yet, the answer to the question is not that simple. Sometimes, there may be a circumstance which can extend child support, for example if your child is disabled. Additionally, did the person asking the question mean to include college expenses as part of support, a question that depends on several things and that  was briefly reviewed in a prior post on this blog.

The correct answer for the yahoo forum, which a few of the responders did advise, is to call an experienced attorney who knows the law and can apply them to the facts in your case.  Do not seek legal advice from anonymous Internet users or your co-worker who recently went through a divorce. You might just get what you pay for.